Would you say that you are someone who doesn't think about something unless it is right in front of you?
I know I certainly am. The "out of sight, out of mind" mentality is something I struggle with. I think that it is a part of our culture to really only focus on current events or what is happening in that instant. Think about how much publicity Haiti got when the earthquakes rendered them helpless. We all donated and raised supplies for people to go over there and help them get their lives back in order. Yet, how many of us today have sort of put that on the back burner and maybe not really paid attention to the fact that one of the poorest countries in the world is now even more destitute and poverty stricken than before?
The next tragedy has hit...we are all about posting prayers and sending aid to Japan, but I have to ask myself, how long until Japans devastation is no longer a thought in our minds?
Out of sight. Out of mind.
I try to be attentive- to remember a friends birthday or anniversary. But, I have to say, more often than not, I am frantic to drop a card in the mail (usually on that persons special day) because the other aspects in my life seem more pressing.
A dear friend of mine lost her mother to ALS 2 years ago this April. I will never forget the words she said to me over a burger at Fridays the week after her mother passed away. She said, "Mary Beth, my biggest fear is that over time my friends will move on and the pain will no longer be in the forefront of their minds...and the pain...even 5 years from now will still be fresh to me." Those words struck a cord in me. I want to be that friend who remembers. I want to be the person that every April 2 takes a minute to say a prayer for my friend, send her a text, email, or card. I want her to know that she is loved, but more importantly, I want her to know that she is remembered.
Every spring our church takes some time to acknowledge the poor. Celebration of Hope consists of several different aspects where we are able to take part in remembering those who are hurting. This coming week we are starting the most challenging aspect of COH...
On Monday we are committing to 5 days of eating how one-half of the world eat everyday. Did you know that one-half of the world lives off of two dollars of food (about 3 cups of food) everyday? One cup of oatmeal for breakfast. One cup of rice and beans for lunch. One cup of rice and beans for dinner. Oh, and tap water....no coffee...no diet coke.
Josh and I took this challenge on last year. We were hungry, we were crabby, and we were weak. Yet, in the midst of our hunger pangs God worked in us to soften our hearts to the poor. We entered into the struggles of faceless brothers and sisters all over the world and our hearts were broken for them. The hunger pangs that we went to bed with every night were heart breaking and sickening. To top it all off, we both held desk jobs. Add on top of those hunger pains needing to walk 2 miles to get your well water. See, even in spite of giving up the comforts of fresh produce and COFFEE I knew without a doubt that when my five days were over I would return to a full fridge. I did not have to worry about where my next meal would come from or IF our next meal would come.
But, the suffering of the poor was much closer to my heart in those five days. I challenge you. Don't let the starving go to sleep and never wake up. Enter into their pain and do something about it.
My challenge to my readers is to take part in this 5 day challenge. Join me in eating 3 cups of food a day and drinking only tap water. Then, take your weekly grocery budget and donate it to a soup kitchen, a food bank, or a non-profit organization dedicated to feeding the hungry. Your sacrifice will change lives.
Interested in reading more? Visit Celebration of Hope.
"I was hungry. You gave me food. I was thirsty. You gave me drink. I was a stranger. You took me in. I needed clothes. You gave me clothes. I was sick. You came to visit me. I was in prison. You came to see me."
Matthew 25:35-36
Editors Note: We started our subsentence diet a day early...So we have just finished day one!
ReplyDelete