There is one thing, however, about two year old boys - they are not as easily distracted as one year old boys. If he wants something, he does not back down. He polished off his key lime yogurt in about 39 seconds. He opened the fridge, and began asking for another yogurt. I usually grocery shop on the weekend, but my schedule was thrown off this weekend and I only had that ONE yogurt. Enter in the tales of the terrible twos. He fell to the ground and started saying...no - yelling "More yogurt!" After sitting him on my lap and explaining to him that he had eaten the last yogurt, he started wandering around the house crying, "More yogurt!" No matter what I offered, including cookies, he still cried "MORE YOGURT!" That was all he could think of. He has a one track mind.
But are we really all that different?
I started writing my prayers in my journal about two months ago. I felt like my prayer life lacked intention and focus and I figured that actually hand writing my prayers would help me in that department. It has been really helpful. I fill page after page on a daily basis and I am grateful to have an account of the ways that God has moved in my life.
However, yesterday, I decided to look back over my prayers. I was a little bit ashamed that every single day, I begged God for the exact same thing. My prayers are not eloquent. They are not graceful. Page after page is filled with the request for one thing. Sure, I pray for others. I list friends out by name and spend time praying on their behalves. But, for every paragraph written for others and for every paragraph of praise, I am sure there are five paragraphs pleading with God to give us just one thing.
Don't get me wrong, I think it is very appropriate to spend time talking to God about what matters most to you. Philippians 4:6-7 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."I think the only part of that verse that my prayers reflect is the "present your requests to God" part!
This month, in honor of Thanksgiving, I decided to participate in a challenge to post something you are thankful for every day on your Facebook status starting on November 1 all the way through Thanksgiving. I would be lying if I didn't admit that it is hard to think of what to be thankful for on some days. It isn't that I have nothing to be thankful for; it's that I am focused on what I don't have, and it consumes me. I am reduced to two year old stomping my feet and yelling, "MORE YOGURT!" instead of opening my eyes to the immense blessings in my life. God is opening my eyes to the point of Philippians 4:6-7. He is saying, "Stop being anxious", "Be thankful", "Give me your requests and take away My peace."
You see, when I and look around, this month has been absolutely filled with reasons to be thankful:
- Josh was declared cancer free after a mass was found in his chest.
- A dear friend got engaged to a Godly man.
- A friend we have been praying for came to Christ and was baptized. I get to spend eternity with her in heaven now.
- God has provided for us this month, more than I could even dream possible.
- We found out that our insurance covers infertility treatment 100%. Unheard of.
- My parents have defied the odds and celebrate 31 years of marriage today.
- God has brought restoration to friendships that I desperately need.
I am so thankful for a patient God. I am thankful that He loves me even when my prayers are more like a angry two year old and less like a blessed soul. I am also thankful that He is teaching me how to pray. I am thankful that He is helping me hope. I am thankful that He calms my fears and draws me close to Him.
I have never had so much to be thankful for.
God is so good to me.
I love you, MB! I have been thinking my prayer life is distracted too. I should write mine down too. Especially if it kind of helps keep us accountable! (for asking for the same thing too much/not trusting Him, etc...) Pray for you daily! Love your thankful posts. <3
ReplyDeleteI know I've told you this before...even earlier today :) But I am so thankful for you and the Spirit of Christ IN YOU! Thanks for the realness and sweet encouragement to always trust our faithful God and His plans...I am so blessed to know you and so very thankful that we have the world of FB and blogging to keep in touch over the years & miles : )
ReplyDeleteI just love your heart and spirit, you are such a special person and I am so happy to know you.
ReplyDeleteCindi
Alissa, I know you understand this. I am so grateful to have you by my side through all of this. I really appreciate your friendship. God brought you back into my life at the perfect time. Thank you for your messages and encouragement. You don't know what that does for me!
ReplyDeleteDani, Thank you. You are so sweet. I have struggled over the past few months wanting to share but also feeling like I needed to protect myself a bit. I appreciate your kind words and encouragement. Cherish little ones tonight. They are a blessing from the Lord.
Cindi, I love YOUR spirit! I really miss you my Polish Mama! :)
"Like"
ReplyDeletes\Uncle G