Josh and I have been married for four and a half months. We love being married. We love coming home to each other everyday and eating dinner, catching up on TV and then crawling into bed with a little smooch goodnight. I am almost at the point where I can't really remember what I did before I was married to Josh. It is such a good feeling.
However, we have had a hard four months. Challenges like job changes, combining lives, moving to a whole new area, medical issues, and paying off a wedding have made it hard. I keep telling him, "These are the stories we will tell our kids!" You know those stories, right? Walking barefoot uphill in the snow???
The last 24 hours has been especially challenging. Josh tested positive for the BRCA2 gene, which to sum up, is a gene that makes it VERY likely that he will get cancer in his lifetime. We have prayed fervently over the last few weeks that he would not have this terrible gene, but found out yesterday that he does. Begin the testing...
Over the past four months, I am finding that being joyful has a lot to do with being thankful. When I am able to look around and list the things I am thankful for, I am able to be a much more joyful person. This has been my Ahhhhha Moment! When I get down or frustrated with how much seems to be coming at me all at once, I find that if I take the time to list off the things that I have to be thankful for, I am filled with JOY! I start to see life a little differently. Credit card bills from our wedding make me thankful that we were able to have such a wonderful day becoming husband and wife. The loads and loads of dirty laundry make me thankful for a washer and dryer and huge walk in closet to hang my clothes! Even getting a positive BRCA test makes me thankful for four months with my husband- I have witnessed a dear friend widowed after only 2 months of marriage bliss. I am a blessed woman!
Finally figuring out how to look at any situation and find the 'silver lining' has forced me to be a more joyful person. I am glad for that because without it I am not sure I would be enjoying life so much. It forces me to say thank you to God for all he has done and to look around and know I will be okay despite what comes our way!
MB- I COMPLETELY agree with this! There really is a "silver lining" to pretty much EVERYTHING in life. This is one of those things that I feel like is a constant struggle, but just figuring it out to begin with is the first BIG step :) This is something you can really apply to all areas of life at all stages of life. I am excited about your blog...I remember when I used to follow your Xanga and it was always so much fun to read and also encouraging, so I'm glad you're writing again! Love you!
ReplyDeleteMary Beth:
ReplyDeleteWhen did you become so smart. I have learned a valuable lesson from this article. I guess we take so many things for granted. We could have it so much worse. I will pray for your husband. Just remember, there is a reason for everything God puts in our path. We cannot see it now, but will someday. You are a very wise young woman (and a very old soul). I will miss you at Casas when we return this year. All our best. Jill
Thanks for sharing MB. I was so inspired that I used the difference between happiness and joyfulness as my topic for staff devos today with scripture from Matthew 5, James 1, and Psalm 136. Love you girl!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteVery well put. It's true...some day you will look back on these days and smile.
ReplyDeletePS...When I count my blessings, I count you twice....once as my sissy, and once as one of my best friends. Love you!
MB- you are so right!! What wisdom you possess!It isn't always to "feel" happy or joyful...whereas joy comes with thanksgiving...and we can choose to be thankful! :) thanks so much for sharing! I love your blog! you look beautiful!! I'll be praying for you guys!
ReplyDelete